Friday, February 22, 2008

Blocked in China? Forget the Olympics.

Following Pliable's lead, I pointed out earlier (here) that this blog is blocked in the People's Republic of China. Matthew Guerrieri found out that his blog, too, is blocked. As far as I'm concerned, if Chinese Internet users cannot view this or any other blog due to censorship, the Chinese government should not expect me to be a customer for their products or a audience to their propaganda, so I will avoid both as much as possible, and, in particular, will not watch any of the upcoming Olympics.

I encourage all bloggers to check this out for their own sites and consider a similar boycott.

4 comments:

Civic Center said...

Thanks for the testing link. I would have been mortified if "Civic Center" was considered kosher in China and you and Pliable were not, but happily I too am banned for billions.

Anna said...

Tried out the link and I'm afraid "Life of a musician" is also banned......

Elaine Fine said...

Yup. All three of mine are blocked too. I don't think it is anything personal, though. I imagine that the powers that be in the Chinese firewall business simply block anything that might be identified as a blog, musical or otherwise.

CNN makes it through.

Anonymous said...

The Chinese government doesn't care (or know about) your blog. They blog ranges of IPs on blogspot and sometimes you may become a victim. I'm in China right now and can access your blog.

I do agree with you that it is quite entertaining that the Chinese think they will get accepted on the world stage because of the Olympics, and at the same time try to keep their people as stupid as possible.