Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Job Title

I like my job title: a composer is simply someone who puts things together, an assembly worker, if you will. German, in addition to Komponist, also has Tonsetzer, tone-setter, like typesetter, perhaps an even more concrete and craftsperson-like term. But Hungarian has Zeneszerző, literally a music catcher. This suggests that the music is already out there, and is simply captured, as one would catch butterflies. I'm not a platonist, so I can't believe that an ideal form of music exists out there which our merely real music captures, channels, or reflects, but I certainly do appreciate the sentiment.

2 comments:

Charles Shere said...

I think I do believe that the music is "out there" somehow, and that I simply find or catch it when I make those little marks on the page — but I'm no Platonist either; I don't think there's an "ideal" music. I suppose this bears further reflection.

Debussy called himself a musicien, not a compositeur, but I always assumed that was because the first syllable of compositeur is subject to an unfortunate play on words.

Manikandan said...

Hi .nice blog.I need to find jobs .can anybody send links of that job websites....
Thank you.....